Giving Birth to a New Year...times 33!

letting my past guide me. a sankofa lesson:
Image result for sankofa
The African word Sankofa symbolizes a way of using our past to guide us forward. The Akan people of Ghana symbolize this quest for knowledge as a consistent staple in life, a way to progress by learning from the past. I am making a deliberate attempt to follow their guidance. My attempt, naturally, will be imperfect. Thank you for your grace.

*I turned 33 this year, this month in fact. The number 33 has been a notable part of my life from a young age-as notable as a number can be anyway. In looking back on the beginnings of this number's connection to my life, I also consider how to move forward with it.*

age: 33
this 33rd year of my life brings a throwback to Mr. Grant Hill.
Image result for grant hill detroit pistonsgrant hill was my absolute favorite person for many years. he was my bae back in the day. i rocked the leather detroit pistons jacket like it was the only thing i owned. i watched basketball games like i cared about the sport. i read everything i could on this man, who i had decided was the epitome of..cuteness. i made his number-my number, and associate his 33 with every aspect of my life-to this day. as i have aged beyond my obsession of good-ol-grant, i am reminded of all my favorite things and how they might help shape my year ahead.



Image result for favorites
favorites: 33
*reading! anything by a black woman is high on my must read list. blackness-historical and present.
*writing poetry. happens in my head more than on paper..this should change
*serena williams. do i really need to say anything more..?!
*michelle obama-crushest woman alive. simplicity, elegance, grace, pure. thank you.
*the moon. it rules me and i love it. your fullness = my fullness.
*blackness! all of it. all the time. even when it hurts.
*love. i love love. in all of its forms. everyday. all day.
*my shaved head. it is freedom and simplicity defined.
*speaking poetry. what a rush! the post-poetry performance high is a real joy.
*coffee mugs. yes please. large, cupped in my hands. warmth, comfort.
*brunch! late breakfast. slow weekends. bottomless mimosas.
*the ocean. salt. water. sunshine. bliss.
*sunshine! glorious. heat. bright light.
*van life! travel in my converted van is a whole new kind of life.
*loud music-all of it. country, jazz, classical, pop, musicals, hip-hop, all of it. the louder the better!
*gardening. what a beautiful way to spend a morning, or afternoon, or evening.
*black dog. mine. the most beautiful perfect pup on the planet.
*glasses. hmm i guess i just love them, mine and yours.
*pens. thin points. easy writing. proud to be the pen snob that i am.
*traveling. worldwide. cultural expansion and understanding. immersion is key.
*polished nails-they make my toes and fingers feel plump and new.
*solo movie dates. what a lovely event to gift yourself.
*cooking shows. so entertaining. reminds me that cooking is cool. and delicious!
*driving. always a fave of mine. get me in the front seat and i'm golden.
*mason jars. cool design with deep functionality and a flare for creativity.
*overalls--because who doesn't love overalls...i mean, come on.
*candles..mmm smells good, looks good, feels good. yes please.
*knitting. a fave winter pastime. warmth by hand, one stitch at a time.
*tea. hot with honey. a distinct 'grandma' characteristic of mine that i hold dear.
*cozy, comfy lounge chairs. curled up. with a book. and a blanket. magic.
*cheese-all of it, all of the time. cheddar, goat, hard, soft..doesn't matter. yum yum yum
*over the ear headphones. way better than ear buds. some say i believe this because i have small ears and the buds just don't fit..whatever!
*trees. lounging under big branches. watching the sway of leaves. nature is beautiful.

Image result for mictasks: 3 at 33
SPEAK: 33 poetry performances. out loud & proud.
WRITE33 blog posts. real life. write & be read.
READ:   33 meaningful books. read it right & do right by it.

happy birthday to me! time to go back and get it..33 times in this grand year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Should Travel to Puerto Rico This Summer!

Four Years Later: 10 Days of Silent Meditation

Boobies & Birkenstocks