Being Black: Voter Representation

Long before we were granted the citizenship right to vote, blacks were considered to be 3/5 of a person...and even less before our skin color was thus written on official government documentation. Rights were not granted, considerations were not made, we were not of the people-for the people-by the people.

Today, I cast my ballot in the local Denver election. This holds great meaning. My vote represents the wholeness of my person. My vote represents my blackness. My vote represents the power I have as an individual citizen. My vote represents those who tirelessly fought for my black skin to represent equality.

And although my vote does not change how all others view me, my vote does bring clarity to representation. Because with one vote, I show my power in being whole.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Should Travel to Puerto Rico This Summer!

Four Years Later: 10 Days of Silent Meditation

Boobies & Birkenstocks